Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

For my birthday, I'm getting a brand-spanking new pair of...

BOOBS.
Yes, yes I am. I have my "exchange" surgery scheduled for this Monday (Sept. 16th). My birthday is actually Sept 17th  - so, I guess we are celebrating a day early ;).
Since I haven't updated you all in a while, and I don't expect all of you to remember what "step" in the process I am at right now, I will refresh your memory... I currently have what are called "expanders" in my chest, that only slightly resemble breasts.  The expanders had been originally placed when I had my double mastectomy (back in January - can you believe it was THAT long ago already?!?), and were placed under the muscle in my chest (and filled with about 100 CC's of saline at the time, so I didn't wake up completely flat). I had to wait to heal from the mastectomy and then had been undergoing the "filling" process every week to 2 weeks, where I would go into the plastic surgery office and they would inject between 50 to 100 CC's more saline into my expanders every visit (depending on my tolerance). I did this for a few months, filling the "expanders" until I got to the size I wanted (or until my skin yelled "no more!!"). Once the expanders got to the desired size (or until I cried Uncle from the pain), I stopped with the "fills" (which was back in June). I had to wait a few months (for the expanders to "settle"?), and then had my "exchange" surgery scheduled. The exchange surgery is where they... well, EXCHANGE my expanders for the "permanent" implants. I put "permanent" in quotes, as they estimate the implants last around 10 years or so, so I would be trading these babies in for a new pair in approx. 10 years(ish). That, pretty much brings you up to speed with the surgery that is scheduled for this Monday.
The next step would be waiting another few months for me to heal and then doing another part of the reconstruction process, where they do a fat transfer (take some fat from somewhere else in my body), and inject it into the chest area to fill out the areas that would have normally had fat to make them more realistic looking. Plus, they do the nipple reconstruction at that time. I would have to then heal from that surgery and, if I want, get a tattoo in order to make the nipple have color.
So...what else can I tell you...
I have been done with the nasty chemo for a couple of months now. I have been corrected by my cardiologist when I said that I was DONE with chemo. She says that the infusions of Herceptin (that I continue to get every 3 weeks until May of next year) are still considered chemo. Phooey, I say! I was so proud to be able to say that I was done with chemo. Whatever, I am still saying that I am done with chemo. It's all semantics anyways. Technically, Herceptin is a Bio-therapy (but still is made up of chemicals, per se), so I say...WE'RE BOTH RIGHT! :)
Speaking of chemo...I had a minor hiccup with my heart that was picked up with a routine echocardiogram (echo). It looks like there is a slight issue with one of my valves, that could be related to a "bundle branch block", and they had noticed some fluid around my heart as well. After a few tests, and monitoring, it looks like my heart is functioning well though (well enough so that they don't have to stop my Herceptin infusions). They are not positive that the issues with my heart were caused by (or exacerbated by) the chemo, but it is possible. My last check up with the cardiologist came back A-OK, so that is good news (although they will continue to monitor stuff). My blood pressure is normally a bit low, so they recommended me getting more salt in my diet and drinking more fluids (wine totally counts right?!?) ;)
My hair is starting to come in quite a bit now (at least that is what people keep telling me!) I still look like a bald chick, mind you - but it's coming along. My friend Suzy said, "you were at that fuzzy chick stage, and pretty soon you're going to get your big girl feathers!" She also was the one to say that I am starting to look less like a cancer patient and now, and we are starting to look more like a lesbian couple. Awesome. Honestly, I'll be happy when I get to the point where people are giving me looks, questioning my sexuality and not giving me looks of terror or pity because I look sick. Bring it.

I had a photo shoot with a local photographer a couple of weeks ago - Karen Luce. She published a book called "Pink Portraits". A book that tells the story of some local breast cancer survivors. Here is how Karen (the photographer) describes the book: "13 amazing breast cancer warriors and survivors - share their stories of laughter, tears and courage. A portion of the proceeds go to breast cancer supportive care and research. Available at http://www.KarenLuceCreative.com/ "
Here is a link to the Pink Portraits Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/PinkPortraits
Karen had asked for nominations (of breast cancer survivors) for her next possible project, and I had been nominated by my friends Joanie and Becky. I won, and got a photography session with Karen! Here is one of the pics from that photo shoot:
Photo: Ok - maybe two!

Another pic that she posted, included my girls and I:
Photo: OK - One sneak peak of Ang since I know you are all waiting! ;)

Karen and I met for dinner about a month(ish) ago, so that she could get a little of my story as well. I directed her to this blog too (So, if you're reading Karen - HI!!) :)
When I met with Karen, she asked me if I had any requests for the kind of photos that I wanted. I told her that I had a couple of ideas. (I have an interest in photography myself, and I can invision a few pics that I think would be cool, had I not been the subject of the photos, and maybe I was taking the pic myself). It's on my bucket list to get to know my camera better, and get more into photography. I just love the way a photograph can be powerful, emotional, beautiful - sometimes all at the same time.
I told Karen that I really wanted to have a pic with my girls and I. They are getting older every day, I am starting to look less and less like a cancer patient. I wanted to capture this moment in time. Not that I plan on framing and putting the pic on the wall (although I think the 2 pics she posted are magnificent - I can't wait to see the rest!), I don't know if having the pic as a constant reminder in my home is something I want. Who knows, maybe because it's all still so raw for me...I could totally change my tune a few months from now.
After the photo session was done, I hung around the park area with my girls, and we took a few more pics with my phone. Here is one I had my daughter take:


Another that I took of my girls:


I love how hazy and dream-like these 2 photos turned out. (If you look really close, you can see bandaids on both of my daughters knees too... I love the dichotomy (paired with how lady-like she does her curtsy) and it makes me love this pic even more.

4 comments:

  1. I know I've said this before and I'm going to say it again...I love reading your blogs! You are a beautiful inspiring woman and I'm so glad for your success with this fight! Its amazing how you can bring a smile and tears to me every time I read it! I will forever keep you, Adam and your girls in my thoughts and prayers daily!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - you are so awesome! I'm finishing up your gallery this week - I promise! I hope your surgery has gone well!

    ReplyDelete