Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fill her up!

Since the last blog entry, I have had my first "tissue expansion" (T.E.) or, fill-up. Ahem...filling up my frankenboobs with saline in order to stretch the skin for the "real" things (in a silicone shell :). I have to report to my plastic surgeons office for every T.E. I was told that I would need to go in for the expansion about once every week (and that they would inject about 100 CC's each visit, depending on my pain tolerance and the amount of stretching my skin could tolerate. It's an interesting mix of people in the plastic surgeon's waiting room... I saw a couple of hand injuries, little kids that were probably undergoing reconstruction from a birth abnormality(?) It's interesting to try and guess what everyone else is "in for". I wonder if other folks do the same thing, and what they think I'M in for.
Anywho...the fill up. They have me put on the infamous wrap dress, and assume the position (belly up on the exam table). I get draped in the surgical blue sheet and they use a magnetic instrument to find the valve (I guess there are little magnetic circles within the expander, and the magnet helps them locate where they need to inject the needle.) Once they find the bulls eye, they draw a little circle, and then proceed with the injection (they use a syringe hooked up to an IV bag, and inject a little at a time, then check the progress). The injection wasn't too painful, as the valve is located on a part of my breast where the feeling is "off" (some places are hypersensitive, others are numb-like). The nurse asked me if I was ok a couple of times. I had her stop a bit ahead of her "goal", as I was feeling pretty tight. I was happy that I took a pain pill before the appt. A few hours later, I was pretty uncomfortable, and glad I had the nurse stop when I did! The next day was pretty darned painful. For those Mamas out there who have ever nursed a child, the feeling is similar to the engorged feeling that you get when you haven't nursed your baby in a while - AND DESPERATELY NEED TO.
The scene of the crime


Oh...and there's a little thing called CHEMO, that I begin tomorrow. Ugh. I feel ready. Well...about as ready as I am gonna be.  I tend to be a "planner". I like to be prepared before I do just about anything. I throw in a bit of spontaneity from time to time, but overall I feel more comfortable if I know what I'm doing! So...what's a gal to do, who wants to plan for chemo? Well...I have read quite a bit, learned some things from friends who have been there, browsed blogs, talked to my docs & nurses. I also belong to an online breast cancer support forum (kind of like facebook for "survivors". www.mybcteam.com ), and there is a great Q & A section that is great (did I mention that it is great? Ha...I crack myself up.). I found a good book online called "Chemo: Secrets to thriving. From someone who's been there" - it has been tremendously helpful. Here's an entry from a blog that talks about supplements during chemo: http://susan.chaosweb.net/2011/10/25/le-menu-du-jour/ . Speaking of supplements, that is one thing that I have also done to try and prepare for chemo. I have a boat-load of stuff I've picked up, and some stuff I take on a regular basis even prior to chemo (not looking forward to taking all of them, as I can't stand swallowing pills). I even bought some of the gummy vitamins to make it a little less daunting, and a calcium that is like eating a piece of dark chocolate. Taking all of them at once is like having a flippin' meal though, as there are a ton. The supplements are mostly to counteract/lessen the side-effects of chemo on my body. That's not even including the prescription meds I'll be taking! We picked up some of the meds that I'll be taking form the pharmacy the last time we were at the hospital. Want to know how much just the first 4 meds would have cost had I not had insurance?...$7500!! Thank goodness I have insurance.
Oh, and I got a pre-chemo haircut.  I thought getting it cut really short would make the transition to bald a little easier on my little girls (and, who am I kidding, me too!) I have a really awesome hairdresser who works out of her home. Shout out to Maradith!! She offered to cut my hair, after she found out my diagnosis and refuses for me to pay her. She did a great job, although the jury is still out on whether or not I like the pixie cut on myself. I like to change things up with my hair quite often (color, cuts etc.), but was never brave enough to have a short haircut. Hey, maybe it'll grow on me. Heh...get it? I never realized how much having longer hair was an insulator. I feel like I should be wearing a scarf and ear warmers all the time now....and boy are my windows drafty!
                              The new me:
 
The plan for tomorrow: Wake up around 5am, scarf some food and a bunch of water (as I have to be NPO after 6am.... may the force be with the nurses who have to find my vein 3 times after not drinking anything for 6 hours prior!). Get the kids ready for school (and the weekend at their Aunt/Uncles house). Leave house by 7:30am. Arrive at hospital, get chemo blood labs drawn...proceed to appointment with my oncologist doc, then go to a "skills lab" appt. (where hubby gets to learn how to give me shots the day after chemo treatments), then to another blood lab (needed prior to surgery), then my port surgery...then chemo. I am expecting to be leaving the hospital around 7pm. Such a fun-filled Friday eh?
I am planning on going back to work on Tuesday. Send me some good thoughts so that I am one of those people who can work right through chemo treatments, K? I really need to be working, as I carry the health insurance for myself, and my family. Having to take more time off would really throw a wrench in my plans...

 
 


2 comments:

  1. Prayers are with you Angela... and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what my dad had to say about chemo and working:

    More on chemo. I took 90 treatments of 5FU over a span of 18 mos.They were given interveniously _every 4th week Iwould go downtown to HFH M thru F . I tolerated it pretty well. Working helped , I would leave about 3 for HFH then home. By fri I would feel like I was gettig the flu-chills, achy,diarhia,etc.Every mon. I would go to HFH clinic Fairlane for blood test to moniter counts. All in all a tolerable routine.Worked for me. Good luck

    P.S. This is Claudia. I couldn't remember how I posted before. HFH is Henry Ford Hospital.

    ReplyDelete