Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Family Christmas party, and SWAG.

Yesterday (Saturday 12/15)  - we had our family Christmas party. It is my hubby's Mom's side of the family that gets together every year. It's really the only Christmas party that we go to these days (my side of the family (locally), pretty much includes my Dad and I. The rest of my Dad's side of the family live in Canada, and when I was little, we used to get together for the holidays, but not so much any more. Once you start having kids of your own, it's much more difficult to go travelling around like we used to before kids were in the picture.
So, I hadn't seen a lot of the family since "the diagnosis".  I was kind of expecting it to be an emotional night. I wasn't looking forward to that part (having to be looked at with the tear-filled "puppy dog eyes"). I didn't want my presence to be a big bummer either though. It is Christmas after all! It turned out not to be too bad actually (the emotional part of it). I had a few tear-filled extra long hugs, but it didn't turn into a sob-fest or anything - PHEW! It did seem like my cancer was the elephant in the room a little bit...because no one really talked about it (but I was really cool with that). I would have been fine with talking about it openly as well. I think this blog has been helpful in answering some people's questions about what is going on with me as well, which has probably eliminated some of the questions that would normally have to be asked in person. Let this be a disclaimer: Please, if you have questions for me, feel free to ask! I have even had friends ask to feel the lump (when I was first diagnosed), and I let them. If it weren't me that had been diagnosed with cancer, I would want to know what A LUMP OF CANCER feels like too. I am pretty sore these days (from the biopsy, then the lymph node surgery, and I am swollen too - so, touching is NOT going to happen anytime soon - sorry!) See... I don't scare very easily ;)

Speaking of swollen, It turns out that I have some lymphedema as well. A type of swelling that can happen after the surgery involving the lymph nodes. My particular swelling was in my chest wall and breast (a bit in my upper arm). I had to see an occupational therapist a few times, and I  was issued a compression shirt and sleeve to wear whenever possible. The sleeve was needed for an upcoming plane ride. It was so strange to be on the other end of occupational therapy treatment. Because of the lymph node surgery on my left side, I am also not allowed to get shots or have my blood pressure checked on the left side. I am technically not supposed to do any kind of strenuous activity with that left arm (like, ever again - yeah....that'll happen.) I have even heard of women getting lymphedema from a mosquito bite on that side!


A couple of shout outs!: I received a care package in the mail yesterday from my friend Michelle (she was my "upline" when I was a consultant for "Close to my heart" (scrapbooking/card-making supplies) - she is also a friend. She sent me a package full of pre-made scrapbook pages (for me to add my finishing touches, and pics to) it will be a nice distraction, and a way to focus on the "positive"-good times spent with my family. What a thoughtful gift, huh? I also got quite a few Christmas cards from friends, that included special notes to me sending me well-wishes. 
I got a card (and "high school style" note) from a high school friend (Laura) too. She wrote a note and tore it from a spiral notebook (she would have gotten bonus points if she would have fancy-folded it and wrote "for your eyes only" or "K.I.T" on the outside. Maybe next time Laur. ;) 


That was exactly what I needed...something quirky to make me smile. I have some pretty awesome friends!

Breast Cancer SWAG!...
OK, so I am a big fan of free stuff (who isn't, right?). I saw on another blog (someone who was also going through breast cancer treatment), that there are places that give out products, or provide services for anyone going through breast cancer treatment. So, I thought I would create a section dedicated to FREE STUFF (otherwise known as swag), for breast cancer survivors. It may be helpful for others who are looking to hook up a friend (going through treatment) with a little something to brighten their day. I will continue to add to the list of resources, as I find out about them (feel free to share a resource in the comments in this section too, K?).
(I just got mine in the mail yesterday, ^there it is, and it is so nice!)

3 comments:

  1. Very cool about the BC Swag. HEY, there's gotta be some perks! RIGHT?!! I am glad you let me feel your lump. Like you said, it isn't hard, so it's different than I was thinking a lump would feel like. It would be a good idea for women to know what they feel like. Many would mistake it for normal breast tissue. Yes, this is how brave my bestie is! She pulled out her breast and let 3 of her best (breast) friends feel it so we would know what it feels like and what to look for when checking ourselves. <3 Ang has a amazingly beautiful boobs. They aren't bad or to blame. Neither is she. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put me up for wanting to feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought the lump would feel like a dried pea or piece of gravel or something hard. I having been encouraging people to at least read your first postings. Thank you for a new description.

    ReplyDelete