Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

GNO

Sunday, Dec 9th -


I went out with some friends last night to the martini bar (it's beginning to be a regular Saturday night thing! :) It was nice, although I am bummed that I left my leftovers on the table. Doh! Getting together with friends is therapeutic. Having some laughs and not talking about cancer for a little while was a good thing. I feel so sad for anyone going through something like this that does not have the fabulous support system that I have. I am a very lucky gal. I hadn't seen many of them since I was diagnosed, so I knew that I was going to be talking about cancer stuff too (which I don't mind, really). It's part of me now, unfortunately. My friend Karen said something in a facebook post on my wall that has stuck with me. She said to remember that cancer does not DEFINE me. That is a powerful statement.
 It is very easy to start to think of yourself differently when you hear that you have cancer. You think of yourself, as "Angela, the cancer patient". Although that is who I am, and will be for quite while. There is not a moment that goes by that I forget that part of who I am now. I need to also remember that I am SO MUCH MORE than that! I am still Mommy, a wife, a daughter, a friend. I still have a sense of humor (still as warped as ever - maybe even more so!) Because, if you can't laugh at yourself, you are missing out on some pretty funny material!

Oh...I almost forgot to post this...my friend Jamie bought some books for my girls. They are books for little kids about dealing with cancer, coping, etc. They are so great! How thoughtful is Jamie?!?


 

1 comment: